aaicraid battery != Ok = Server stone dead (allmost) forever

Robert Lindgren robert at lunarpages.com
Mon Dec 9 10:12:00 CST 2002

Hi all,

I have some problems with an 2650, at any arbitrary point in time the
server just stops to respond. I believe this has something to do with
the battery on the raid controller, but since I'm not able to login to
the machine when this happens I'm not able to state that it is related
to the battery though.

Sometimes I'm able to get the password prompt back from the server but
I'm not able to login to it, seems like it does allot of i/o. When the
server is rebooted the problem still persist until I get this message in
the system log:

kernel: aacraid:Battery charge is now OK

So my question(s) is can this problem be related to a faulty battery on
the raid controller? If the first question is true, how can this bring
the server to a state where it's not possible to do ANY i/o related
stuff, like logging in to the system. Sure the cache on the controller
is disabled but, never seen something like this on a (sorry curse words
will follow) Compaq or Sun server when the battery has been discharged.

Best regards
--
Robert Lindgren <robert at lunarpages.com>