Duplex Questions

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 08:26:00 CST 2002

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Anthony Porcano wrote:

>Our switch is hard set to 100 full, which I have been told might be the
>cause of the adapter being brought up at 100 half.

Either set both ends to autonegotiate, or neither.  Don't force one end
only.

>This should be easy enough to fix with an entry to modules.conf forcing
>the adapter to be brought up at 100 full, but if this is the case then
>does that mean that procfg is just giving out incorrect information
>when it queries the duplex state?

I don't run procfgd, so this is guesswork, but I suspect that the dmesg
output shows you the state of the card as the driver loads. It could be
that the driver then changes when it detects the setting at the other
end.

You don't say what /proc/net/PRO_LAN_Adapters/eth0.info reports. I
wouldn't worry about dmesg if procfg and /proc/net agree with each
other.

Cheers,

Phil