PowerEdge backup solution

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 6 04:06:00 CST 2002

At 18:10 5-12-2002 -0700, Eric Swenson wrote:

>I haven't bought one yet, but I've heard many good things about LTO Ultrium
>from IBM, HP, Dell, etc.  The 2nd generation tapes which are just appearing
>hold 200GB native, 400GB compressed, the tapes stream at 15-30MB / sec
>(probably more for the 2nd-generation drives?) and drives cost maybe 5k or
>so.  I have my sights set on an autoloader, like the one from Dell that can
>hold 14 tapes and 1-2 drives.  Somewhere around 10k, I think.
>
>Can anyone here personally vouch for using any of these guys?

We have 2 Ultrium Drives from Dell here (they look an awfull lot like HP
230's) and they work fine after loading a newer firmware then what was in
it by default (E0AV i believe). The older firmware crashed the SCSI bus
when you actually needed a cleaning tape. The newer firmware hangs the tar
process when you need a cleaning tape. *sigh*

Solution, clean drives every month before it want you to.

They work fast, tapes are reliable and can take a hit. On average the
backups with hardware compression on stream about 20MB/s.

Total bytes written: 99430656000 (93GB, 21MB/s)
That is done in 1 hour 18 minutes. Not too shabby.

Cheers
--
Seth