PowerEdge backup solution

Eric Swenson eric at reaction-eng.com
Thu Dec 5 19:10:00 CST 2002

On Thursday 05 December 2002 09:30 am, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, at 3:44pm, aderuwe at aqs-carcontrol.be wrote:
> > I estimate daily backups to be around 700megs ... ... Having no
> > experience with handling large backups ...
>
>   Heh.  700 megabytes is *tiny*.  One of our customer's weekly full backup
> consumes over 200 gigabytes, and they're a *small* company.  :-)

Small?  I thought that I worked for a small company, and I'm going to need to
back up 2TB every week =-P   Still, though, if you're only backing up 700MB
then you're probably missing quite a bit of data, not to mention whether you
want to back up your os, applications, etc.   With 80GB, 100GB, or more per
desktop you're pretty much guaranteed to need more than that.

> > ... what is the best choice, hardware-wise to buy?
>
>   "Best" is subjective.  For a small setup like that, I would recommend a
> DDS-4 tape drive.  They are fast, solid, and not too expensive.
>
>   If your budget is really tight, you could get away with Travan.  Travan
> drives are a lot cheaper.  Tapes cost a lot more, though, so you start to
> lose if you buy a lot of tapes.  Travan is rather slow, especially on
> reads. In my experience, Travan has more reliability problems than other
> formats.

I haven't bought one yet, but I've heard many good things about LTO Ultrium
from IBM, HP, Dell, etc.  The 2nd generation tapes which are just appearing
hold 200GB native, 400GB compressed, the tapes stream at 15-30MB / sec
(probably more for the 2nd-generation drives?) and drives cost maybe 5k or
so.  I have my sights set on an autoloader, like the one from Dell that can
hold 14 tapes and 1-2 drives.  Somewhere around 10k, I think.

Can anyone here personally vouch for using any of these guys?