Linux-PowerEdge digest, Vol 1 #741 - 10 msgs

James Ralston qralston+ml.dell-poweredge at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 5 17:48:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Note that Cisco has _finally_ changed their docs to indicate that
> forcing settings is not a good thing.

I know some people who need to be hit over the head a few times with
those (changed) docs.  Could you provide a pointer, please?

> this issue has been fixed.  You can download the rawhide kernel with
> the updated [tg3] driver.
>
> > Please don't recommend using the "beta" or "unsupported" modules
> > on a production machine!
>
> I'm not.  Please don't be so presumptuous.
>
> You apparently do not have the latest kernel, see above.

Rawhide is not the latest kernel.

Quoting directly from
<URL:ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/README>:

    > Raw Hide Can Be a Bit Tough to Chew on So Run at Your Own Risk
    > (and Enjoyment)
    >
    > These releases have not been quality tested by Red Hat's Quality
    > Assurance team. They may not boot. If they boot, they may not
    > install. If they install, they may not do anything other then
    > waste CPU cycles. If anything breaks, you most assuredly own the
    > many fragments which will be littered across your floor.
    >
    > It may not be possible to upgrade from Red Hat to Raw Hide, from
    > Raw Hide to Red Hat, or from Raw Hide to Raw Hide! If a stable
    > upgrade path is important to you, please do not use Raw Hide.
    >
    > DO NOT USE THESE RELEASES FOR ANY WORK WHERE YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR
    > APPLICATION RUNNING, THE ACCURACY OF YOUR DATA, THE INTEGRITY OF
    > YOUR NETWORK, OR ANY OTHER PURPOSE FOR WHICH A RESPONSIBLE HUMAN
    > WOULD USE A COMPUTER. (But then again what would be the fun of
    > hacking Linux if there wasn't some risk involved. ;-)....)

Asking someone if they'd be willing to go test a Rawhide kernel (e.g.,
to see if it fixes a problem that's been reported) is acceptable.

Telling someone that a Rawhide kernel fixes their problem and that
they should go slap it on a production machine is *not* acceptable.

Until the Rawhide kernel makes it through the regression testing and
is posted as an official Red Hat Errata update, the problem with the
tg3 driver hasn't been fixed.

(Yes, I run stuff out of Rawhide.  But I like the bleeding edge, and
I've been doing this long enough to know how to safely handle it.
(And if I get cut, it doesn't cost my organization a 5+ digit
figure.))

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute