(rough) BB OpenManage script available

Brian J. Smith-Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Thu Dec 5 11:55:00 CST 2002

Hello all-

Originally I wasn't going to post this until the script did everything I
wanted it to, but since  a few folks expressed an interest on- and
off-list I decided to make it more of a "work-in-progress". And of
course there's nothing like th constant threat of peer-ridicule to make
me double-check my code. ;-)

I posted the script as openmanage.sh at http://www.deadcat.net.
Currently it just takes ouput from "omreport chassis", checks to see if
any component is reporting an error, and executes an appropriate level-3
"omreport chassis <component-name>" command if it finds one.  That
output can be a little excessive, particularly (on my system) when the
Voltages component generates an error.

I'll keep it updated as I go; the next steps will be to further parse
the level-3 command reports to cut back on the excessive output, and to
use "omreport system" to watch the logs and get other info.  I may move
from bash/awk/grep to perl at that point.  If there's an interest in me
doing so I'll announce updates on this list; otherwise I'll just post
them to the BB list.

Questions/comments are of course welcome. Also, since I'm only working
with one system and one version of all the Dell tools my data is
somewhat limited.  If anyone has any omreport output from other versions
that might have different components, send them on and I'll incorporate
them as best I can.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Smith-Sweeey