BB with OpenManage? Joshua_Giles at
Thu Dec 5 10:53:44 CST 2002

I've used SNMP trap features of OpenManage to work with something "similar"
to BB;OpenNMS.  Basically, I am able to recieve hardware info(including
alerts) via SNMP traps from all clients running dcstor32d and
dcsnmp32d(generates SNMP traps) to a central locale/console;in this case
OpenNMS. Both dcevt32d and dcstor32d are part of the OMSA package and
OpenNMS is an open source systems management platform available from

Joshua Giles

"No robes, el gobierno odia la competencia "

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian J. Smith-Sweeney [mailto:bsweeney at]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 7:53 PM
To: jason andrade
Cc: linux-poweredge at
Subject: Re: BB with OpenManage?

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 16:53, jason andrade wrote:
> we have thought about it but haven't done it yet.  since bb4 is basically
> a collection of shell scripts, we were going to use the OMSA on each
> machine and write a script to parse omreport <some subsystem> <somequery>
> and return appropriate values.

Yep, that's what I'm intending to do.

> similarly (with lack of time.. sigh) we wanted to do something to pull
> temperatures/voltages and other useful info out using omreport to throw
> cricket/mrtg as a secondary layer behind bb4 so we could get nice visual
> graphs over time to try and help with debugging/spotting anomalous (sp?)
> behaviour.

Thought about this, but may take more time than I can put in; we'll see.

> if you search the lists (and recently) there has been some contrib
> scripts (checked for pulling monitoring stuff out
> of afacli.
> regards,
> -jason

Indeed, we have an afacli monitoring script working quite nicely and
once I got pointed in the right direction for the openmanage cli docs,
working that into BB seemed to be the next logical step.  Right now I
scripted a simple grep of  "omreport chassis" for anything not OK.  I'm
hoping to build more functionality over the next week or so as time
warrants.  Will let you all know how it turns out.

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at
Please read the FAQ at or search the list
archives at