PowerEdge backup solution

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Dec 5 10:41:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Alexander Deruwe wrote:

>We've been running our PE 2500SC for over a year now, and until now we
>have always been satisfied with 'copy to local harddrive; write to
>cd'-type backups (yeah yeah, I know ;). By now however, the amount of
>data to backup has just grown too large to handle this way.
>I estimate daily backups to be around 700megs (this are full backups,
>not incremental; I guess I should look into that).
>
>Having no experience with handling large backups, what is the best
>choice, hardware-wise to buy? I haven't even been able to make the
>tape versus cdrw choice...

The neatest backup system I was ever involved in implementing used rsync
to make incremental backups to a dedicated server with huge amounts of
disk space.

It suited our needs because the daily churn was relatively small
compared to the size of the whole data, the primary purpose was to allow
users to fetch their own files (most restore requests were human error,
not machine failure), and we had outgrown tape capacity and bandwidth.

Even if you don't want to consider incrementals, buy a 70GB disk, put it
in another machine, do daily rsyncs, and you've got 100 backup "slots",
which can give years of online archives if you use them wisely. Take a
tape/CD/DVD copy once a month for long term archives. Don't forget to
try regular restores :)

Cheers,

Phil