PE2650 + RHL7.3 (2.4.17-17.7.xsmp) issues and experience

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Dec 5 09:14:00 CST 2002

In article <1038438272.2339.62.camel at delorean.physics.ucsb.edu>, Brian J. Smith-Sweeney wrote:
> First, getting the RAC/Server Administrator stuff working with the
> latest RedHat kernel took some work.  The Server Administrator cd only

I am curious -- we are purchasing one of these to run Debian Linux on (with
its vserver packages).  I've been browsing the archives here and have
noticed many references to particular RedHat kernels, RPMs, etc.

Given that, generally, Linux kernels are pretty much the same across
distributions, I have  acouple of questions:

1. Are these patches necessary to run the PowerEdge 2650?

2. If so, are they available in source form somewhere?

3. What would I get if I don't use them?

4. What is the Server Administrator and do I still get it for Linux even if
Dell does not pre-install the OS?