2400 RAID5 Problem Part 2

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Wed Dec 4 23:14:00 CST 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Shawn Neumann wrote:

> replaced the dead drive - a very nice response.  They sent an 18 Gig
> drive even though the RAID is 8.47 Gig drives x 5.  We put in the new

they do this sometimes.  technically, replacing a smaller drive with a
larger one shouldn't be an issue but i have had some problems with this
in the past so i tend to ask for the right drive.  YMMV.

> drive and are unclear as to proceeding - the tech person that came with
> the drive indicated it should rebuild on it's own.  The Dell support

it should - but again, sometimes this doesn't happen.

> person gave us some afacli commands to (run although he seemed new and
> not to confident on how to proceed).  It has been about 5 hours since
> the drive was replaced and I don't see much evidence of any process of
> rebuilding.

steve boley (from dell) gave me some commands on how to manually initiate
a rebuild, darned if i can find them at the moment (check the past
archives ?)

looking at the command set, if you run container scrub it should attempt
to force a manual rebuild.

> Num          Total  Oth Chunk          Scsi   Partition
> Label Type   Size   Ctr Size   Usage   B:ID:L Offset:Size
> ----- ------ ------ --- ------ ------- ------ -------------
>  0    RAID-5 33.8GB       32KB Open    0:00:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
>  /dev/sda             MAIN             0:01:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
>                                        0:02:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
>                                          --- Missing ---
>                                        0:04:0 64.0KB:8.47GB
>

> AFA0> disk list
> Executing: disk list
>
> B:ID:L  Device Type     Blocks    Bytes/Block Usage            Shared Rate
> 0:00:0   Disk            17783239  512         Initialized      NO     80
> 0:01:0   Disk            17783239  512         Initialized      NO     80
> 0:02:0   Disk            17783239  512         Initialized      NO     80
> 0:03:0   Disk            0         0           Offline          NO     0
> 0:04:0   Disk            17783239  512         Initialized      NO     80

it doesn't appear to see the drive you have put into slot 3.  have you run
enclosure prepare slot 0 3 after you put the drive in..

regards,

-jason