BB with OpenManage?

Brian J. Smith-Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Dec 4 19:54:00 CST 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 16:53, jason andrade wrote:
<SNIP>
> we have thought about it but haven't done it yet.  since bb4 is basically
> a collection of shell scripts, we were going to use the OMSA on each
> machine and write a script to parse omreport <some subsystem> <somequery>
> and return appropriate values.

Yep, that's what I'm intending to do.

> similarly (with lack of time.. sigh) we wanted to do something to pull
> temperatures/voltages and other useful info out using omreport to throw into
> cricket/mrtg as a secondary layer behind bb4 so we could get nice visual
> graphs over time to try and help with debugging/spotting anomalous (sp?)
> behaviour.

Thought about this, but may take more time than I can put in; we'll see.

> if you search the lists (and recently) there has been some contrib
> scripts (checked domsch.com/linux?) for pulling monitoring stuff out
> of afacli.
>
> regards,
>
> -jason

Indeed, we have an afacli monitoring script working quite nicely and
once I got pointed in the right direction for the openmanage cli docs,
working that into BB seemed to be the next logical step.  Right now I
scripted a simple grep of  "omreport chassis" for anything not OK.  I'm
hoping to build more functionality over the next week or so as time
warrants.  Will let you all know how it turns out.

-Brian