RAID 5 Containers on a PE 1650

Eric Swenson eric at reaction-eng.com
Wed Dec 4 18:16:01 CST 2002

I'm not sure what the recommended method is for doing this, but that 4GB
container contains the utility partition and not much else, so I:

1) deleted all existing containers (using the perc3 bios configuration
program)
2) allocated two new containers: 00 (100MB), 01 (everything else)
3) booted from the systems management cd and reinstalled the utility
partition (to container 00) (it only takes up around 30MB or so)
4) back in the perc3 bios config, changed the boot order so container 01
became container 00
5) installed redhat to /dev/sda

I figure that if I need to use the Dell utility partition, I can just swap
containers again.  HOWEVER, make sure to install grub to /dev/sda1 (or
whatever), not /dev/sda, if you want to boot to the dell utility partition
easily =-/

There's probably a simpler, better way, but it worked for me.  YMMV.

Eric