Feasability of VERY large ext3 file system?

Ed Griffin edg at ll.mit.edu
Wed Dec 4 15:24:00 CST 2002

Steve,

I have a couple of PE4600's configured as follows...

Each attached to a separate channel on the PERC3/Di controller...
2X73GB RAID0 with /, /usr, /var, boot, swap
8x73GB (7+1 hotspare) RAID5 as one large EXT3 filesystem

These systems also each have a PERC3/DC with a PV220S attached, 14x73GB
RAID5 (13+1 hotspare), also as one large EXT3 filesystem

can the filesystem options you mentioned (rw,data=writeback) be used for
these???  From what I remember when setting these systems up, I didn't
change any parameters of the RAID controllers themselves, but I do remember
something about a writeback option.  Should I have???

Systems are Redhat 7.2 with latest patches, 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp kernel.

Both systems have been very stable, but a 30% performance increase in disk
access would be nice... :)

--Ed

Ed Griffin
Assistant Network/System Administrator
MIT Lincoln Laboratory - Weather Sensing
Phone:    (781) 981-2871
mailto:edg at ll.mit.edu