Feasability of VERY large ext3 file system?

Colm MacCarthaigh colm.maccarthaigh at heanet.ie
Wed Dec 4 14:09:01 CST 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:56:43PM -0700, Eric Swenson wrote:
> BTW, has anyone here gone through the trouble of recompiling a redhat 8.0
> 2.4.18-18 kernel with XFS, and if so, what version of XFS?  Can you share out
> stuff with NFS fine after that?

Not RH8, but we have ftp.heanet.ie (or ftp.ie.debian.org) running
off a 2650 running 2.4.18 patched for XFS, version I'm using is
20020304-2 .

We had NFS running briefly, it worked fine for me :) XFS is
by far the best filesystem I came accross for large filesystems,
just make sure you plug your system with lots of RAM, it likes
to cache inoded, we have:

heanet at canyonero:~$ df -h /ftp
/dev/sdc1             2.0T  1.1T 1019G  51% /ftp

heanet at canyonero:~$ df -hi /ftp
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sdc1               2.0G    2.8M    1.9G    1% /ftp

which I have 4Gb ram for, works great.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh