Feasability of VERY large ext3 file system?

Philippe Gramoullé philippe.gramoulle at mmania.com
Wed Dec 4 07:42:01 CST 2002

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:19:40 +0100
Seth Mos <knuffie at xs4all.nl> wrote:

  |  I tried reiserfs once (long time ago (3.5)) and won't use it anymore.

Too bad :-( You should give it a try again. 3.5 is _very_ old.

  |   Crappy repair tools were one of the problems.

Things have improved quite significantly and now it shouldn't be worse than other
filesystems fsck.

  |  And they had long lasting NFS
  |   problems as well. (I believe this to be fixed these days).

Again that was 3.5 issues. This has been fixed in 3.6 , quite some time ago.

We use several 800Go reiserfs 3.6 volumes in production with more than 3 million directories and 25 Million
files without almost any problems.

Not even to speak about Reiserfs4 which will make life tough for the competition.

Thanks,

Philippe