1650 and VFS: unable to mount root fs

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Dec 3 09:05:01 CST 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, at 3:24pm, Lars.Lindbom at farmbio.uu.se wrote:
> The problem is that even with a non-patched vanilla kernel, the 1650 hangs
> during boot with
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00

  Does the kernel find your root device during initialization?  That is,
does it find your disk controller and enumerate your root disk?

  Try passing "root=/dev/sda2" or whatever your root device is, instead of
"root=LABEL=/".  I believe Red Hat does something magic to make the "LABEL="
work for the root filesystem (either a kernel patch, or an initial ramdisk
trick).

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>