1650 and VFS: unable to mount root fs

Lars Lindbom Lars.Lindbom at farmbio.uu.se
Tue Dec 3 08:21:00 CST 2002

Hello,

I've got a 1650 that refuses to boot kernels compiled from vanilla 2.4.18,
19 and 20 source code. I have looked through the archives of this list but
haven't found any solution to my problem, but I might have missed a thread
dealing with it so please point me to it if so.

I have RH 8.0 installed and it boots fine from the default and updated
kernels but I want to run openMOSIX and need to patch a vanilla kernel
source for this. The problem is that even with a non-patched vanilla
kernel, the 1650 hangs during boot with

VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 00:00

as last message lines.

Boot loader: grub
example grub configuration:

title Linux (2.4.19)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.19.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14smp)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14smp ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14smp.img

Alterations to default vanilla setup are: ext3 enabled, aic7xxx as module
and e1000 as module in 2.4.20 (where it is available).

I might have missed something obvious here, but I've tried a _lot_ to
solve this so any help is really appreciated.

Any suggestions?

Lars

--
Lars Lindbom
Division of Pharmacokinetics and  Therapy