Caution: tight 1650 rails

Vsevolod Ilyushchenko simonf at cshl.edu
Tue Apr 30 12:25:00 CDT 2002

Hi,

I have just had bad experience with the default rails that are shipped with
1650 and thought I'd warn the people here. (Not precisely Linux-related,
but may be important.)

The default RapidRails can only be installed in a four-post rack where the
distance between vertical rails is between 28 and 29 inches. These are the
least flexible rails I have ever seen. My two (non-Dell) racks turned out
to have 27.5 and 29.5 inches, so I am out of luck.

The solution, according to my sales rep, is to either use a rack conversion
kit from racksolutions.com ($120) or specifically order another kind of
rails (though I did not see such an option). The manual also refers to
VersaRails as an alternative, but they look suspiciously similar to
RapidRails. :(

Simon
Simon (Vsevolod ILyushchenko)   simonf at cshl.edu
http://www.simonf.com          simonf at simonf.com