NAS + NFS

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 30 12:02:01 CDT 2002

On 30 Apr 2002, Sean McAvoy wrote:

> Hello,
> I first noticed the problem with NFS, then when I did a kernel compile
> (very disk intensive) it produced the same results. I wiped the system
> and reloaded it with ext3, and have had no problems at all.I assume you
> are running RedHat? If so the problem would seem to be with either the
> XFS patch or the highmem in the kernel, and not just a Debian patch
> specific bug.

We are advising people to use the 1.1 release if they encounter problems
of any kind. A lot of stuff is fixed in 1.1 since 1.0.2, chances are that
they might fix the problem. If the problems persist they should contact
the list linux-xfs at oss.sgi.com.

If you are having highmem lockups chances are that the Andrea kernels
(which have XFS support) do not have this problems. He is a VM developer
afterall. The drawback is that this kernel is based on 2.4.19-pre at the
moment. If that is a problem for you.

Cheers
Seth