NAS + NFS

Aly Dharshi aly.dharshi at uleth.ca
Tue Apr 30 11:56:00 CDT 2002

Hi Greg, All,

>qmail is very flexible once you grok the configuration, which
>is an argument that you could use against anything complex.

    I couldn't ever grok the configuration for Qmail, it was rather odd
having a number of files and trying to put stuff in many files, very mind
boggling for me, Exim works for me as it has just 1 configure file and works
well for me, its easy to understand well document it.

>qmail has not had any bugs or security issues to resolve - if
>its not broken do not fix it.

    True enough, but in its current state its badly off, people relying on
/etc/passwd style lookups may benefit from it, those days are gone, LDAP and
*SQL lookups are based on patches, I think that the author or someone else
could have further developed it to take care of these new technologies,
where stuff like Sendmail, Courier smtp (not all) & Exim supports *SQL, *DB,
LDAP, PAM, NIS/NIS+ lookups and authentication methods out of the box, I
know postfix can do NIS and MySQL in the very least, there are patches for
NIS+.

    So packages like Exim, Sendmail and Postfix have evolved whereas Qmail
has been stagnant. No forward development.

>Some people swear by qmail, exim, postfix and even sendmail.
>At the end of the day what ever you can configure securely is
>probably the best bet, but not necessarily the latest version.

    Sometimes the later versions a better then previous versions and more
secure. I for example would say that Exim 4.x is better than Exim 3.x why,
in 3 you had to write stuff to prevent !%@ etc in local_parts of an e-mail
addresses, in 4 its default deny those (obviously we don't want people using
your server as a relay)  better spam prevention methods etc etc etc. One
could go on. Likewise a person could go on about Postfix. Nowadays its a
matter of feature. How can one adapt the same software for various
authentication methods and for flexibility with out too much work. I think
Exim was the answer for me.

    I seem to have a distaste for proprietory mail systems, Netscape was one
of them, they have a really bulky system does alot of stuff in memory and
when you have to reboot that machine it actually has to write the memory
contents to disk what a waste of time in my case, their mailboxes are
proprietory and makes mbox 2 maildir conversion a walk in the park.

    So I don't know if I completely agree with you there. But everyone has
their opinion and if yours works, excellent, these are just my thoughts. :)
:) :) : )

    Cheers,

        Aly.