NAS + NFS

Jeremy Stoltz jstoltz at oz.net
Tue Apr 30 11:28:00 CDT 2002

I spent a week testing a MS Sql server databases on a Netapp 840 along with
a new product called Snapdrive. Snapdrive allows NFS mounted drives to
appear like a local drive on a Win2k box. In most of our tests the Netapp
performed better then local scsi drives. The tests were run on a older box,
HP LH4, with a Perc3 scsci card.

We ended up going with a EMC FC 4700 for the database for this application.
Mostly because Snapdrive is a very new product and we weren't comfortable
using it in a clustered MS Sql server environment. If we were using Oracle
or DB2 or  a database which fully supports the Netapp filers we probably
would of went with the Netapp.

Network Appliance as been very good about give is demo units or setting up a
test environment in their lab. When they started to try to sell us a filer
for our database application we were very skeptical. We asked for a demo
unit so we could run some tests ourselves. We got in a demo unit. Set it up
ourselves and went through the normal tech support channels to get a feel
how good their support was. BTW their support is excellent. It wasn't as
good with snapdrive because it was so new. But when tech support couldn't
answer some of our questions they setup a conference call the next day with
one of Snapdrives testers who could help us. Then after running some
preliminary tests a sales engineer come out and went over the results with
him. I haven't been able to get this type of service from Dell/EMC or Cisco
on their high end gear.

I don't know much about your application but an FC 4700 or FC 4500 san may
be a better solution then the IP 4700 or a Netapp.

Jeremy