(no subject)

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 30 11:11:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Enrico Simonotto wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> we have recently purchased a PE 2550 (Dell RedHat 7.2)
> and a PV 220S. The PV 220S is connected to a PERC 3/DC
> card in the PE 2550, in a split bus mode. The disks in
> the PV are configured in a RAID 5 (13 disks + 1 hot spare).
> The raid 5 is seen in linux as /dev/sdb and it is split
> in two nearly identical partitions which host ext3
> filesystems. A couple of weeks ago one of our users reported
> problems in writing to the filesystem in /dev/sdb2. We run
> "fsck" which found many problems in the filesystem and we
> began logging in /var/log/messages many errors. The errors
> in /var/log/messages look like:
>
> Apr 24 15:00:49 craigellachie kernel: SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 2
> id 0 lun 0 return code = 25040001
> Apr 24 15:00:49 craigellachie kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:12, sector
> 461074358
> Apr 24 15:00:49 craigellachie kernel: SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 2
> id 0 lun 0 return code = 25040001
> Apr 24 15:00:49 craigellachie kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:12, sector
> 461336630

My instincts would say that your raid controller is broken. Hardware raid
controllers should not spit disk errors at you. Period.
The trick is that hardware raid controllers are supposed to shield the OS
from disk errors.

This has zero to do with linux. Better hope your data is still somewhat
intact.

As far as the support goes, that's weird. In the netherlands the helpdesk
atleast acknowledges linux. Although they don't know everything they
respond in a open fashion and welcome feedback.

Cheers
Seth