(no subject)

Enrico Simonotto enrico at anc.ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 30 10:54:00 CDT 2002

Hi All,

we have recently purchased a PE 2550 (Dell RedHat 7.2)
and a PV 220S. The PV 220S is connected to a PERC 3/DC
card in the PE 2550, in a split bus mode. The disks in
the PV are configured in a RAID 5 (13 disks + 1 hot spare).
The raid 5 is seen in linux as /dev/sdb and it is split
in two nearly identical partitions which host ext3
filesystems. A couple of weeks ago one of our users reported
problems in writing to the filesystem in /dev/sdb2. We run
"fsck" which found many problems in the filesystem and we
began logging in /var/log/messages many errors. The errors
in /var/log/messages look like:

Apr 24 15:00:49 craigellachie kernel: SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 2
id 0 lun 0 return code = 25040001
Apr 24 15:00:49 craigellachie kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:12, sector
461074358
Apr 24 15:00:49 craigellachie kernel: SCSI disk error : host 2 channel 2
id 0 lun 0 return code = 25040001
Apr 24 15:00:49 craigellachie kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:12, sector
461336630

while the sector error changes, the rest of the message always stays the
same.

We first checked the RAID 5 but no errors were reported
in any of the disks and a consistency check was completed
without any errors. We have being trying to solve the problem
by re-creating the filesystem, checking for badblocks, upgrading
to the latest RedHat RPMs and to kernel 2.4.9-13 but we still
haven't found a solution to our problem. We have called Dell (UK)
for support but even with their help our problem is still unsolved
(they have replaced a disk, ID 8 in the PV, and the PERC 3/DC).
Dell has now asked us to run a new "check consistency" which is
being run right now. According to the last Dell UK tech I just spoke
to, our hardware is fine and the problem is with linux, but
he also told me that he couldn't help me with linux because
Dell doesn't have a linux expert in the UK (he said that
linux is not supported by Dell in the UK, not even the version
which Dell preinstalls, like the one we got on our
system - is it true ?).

In the meantime, while the consistency check is
run, if any of you has any suggestions....

Thank you in advance
Enrico Simonotto

------
Enrico Simonotto