NAS + NFS

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 30 09:27:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Jerker Nyberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your answer. Do you know what the performance is for XFS when
> greating many files? There was a discussion in LysKOM conference system
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/lyskom regarding a comparison between different
> filesystems and creation of files in them.

Server:
3 x 40GB Disk(2x7200rpm,1x5400rpm) IDE software raid5 on a Athlon 500 with
256MB Ram, 2.4.18-xfs

Local:
1000000 names generated.
Starting to create files at Tue Apr 30 13:47:55 2002
********************************************************************************File
creation finished at Tue Apr 30 14:18:11 2002

Workstation:
1 x 8GB 5400rpm IDE disk on a Celeron 400 with 128MB ram,
2.4.9-13-xfs-1.0.2

Local (speed limited by CPU):
1000000 names generated.
Starting to create files at Tue Apr 30 13:42:23 2002
File creation finished at Tue Apr 30 15:51:14 2002

NFS workstation to Server (100Mbit):
1000000 names generated.
Starting to create files at Tue Apr 30 15:56:08 2002
File creation finished at Tue Apr 30 16:14:47 2002

> Here below is a small program for creating a million files in the current
> directory. Could you or somebody else that have access to a Linux machine
> with XFS try it out to see how long time it takes? As a comparison, on
> ReiserFS it takes under ten minutes and on Ext3 you don't want to wait for
> it to finish. I tried it on GFS, it took an hour or so if I remember
> correctly.

XFS is not really good in small file performance and is rather good in
large files. So if you have large IO it will do just fine. XFS is also
mostly 64bit ready although some things are intentionally restricted to
32bits because of the Linux IO layer.

Cheers
Seth