Kickstart Disks for PE1650

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Tue Apr 30 09:18:00 CDT 2002

Your best bet would be to use the Dell Server Assistant (DSA) CD to do
your install. After the installation is complete you will find the
kickstart file that DSA uses to install your machine on the Utility
Partition (UP) which is on /dev/sda1 (scsi)  or /dev/hdc1 (ide). You can
then modify it to your spec and reinstall the system.

The only discrepancy is that DSA puts down an updated install image that
contains native support for the raid controller on PE1650. You will have
to modify the kickstart file to add an option line to pass the
"aacraid_pciids=" parameter, if you use your own media to do an install.

Actually, even easier than that, you can just use the updated install
image that DSA uses, if you like. If you examine the "autoexec.bat" on the
Dell UP, you will notice that it will kick off the linux install if a
certain file is present (only after you have done a DSA install first.)
You can modify the ks.cfg on the Dell UP in place and then "touch" the
appropriate file, reboot to the UP and it will kick off another install.
(this way you don't have to worry about the options line in the kickstart)

--
Michael