NAS + NFS

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Apr 30 06:49:01 CDT 2002

Just my $.02 of course...

Twice I have found myself in a position of fending off super aggressive
EMC salestypes. In both cases when we evaluated the IP4700 we found that
it had massive fatal flaws in usability, hardware configuration and the
management interface(s). INMHO it was a clunky attempt to build a
"NetApp killer" from Clariion parts that has totally and utterly failed.
The one person I know who bought one regrets his decision.

The 2nd time was in conjunction with Dell trying to win 100% of the
hardware piece for my current project. When it became obvious that
NetApp was the preferred choice they ended up taking ~60% off the list
price and tried to go over my head to get the deal on the basis of
"our price is so cheap now that it would be irresponsible for you as a
senior manager to select anything else!". On the plus side I take this
as positive news that they are willing to play big pricing games when it
comes to possibly losing a large NAS sale. You can probably get some
deals by pitching the two companies against each other.

The only positive thing I can say about the IP4700 is that EMC has a
very aggressive software roadmap for the product. They seem to release a
totally new rev of the OS every quarter. A large number of the problems
I had with the IP4700 a year ago were fixed quite promptly in the next
OS rev. Sadly though not all of the problems can be fixed in software.

Dell made a mistake in getting into bed with EMC for high end NAS. I
don't know enough about the Clariion line in general (have heard
measured good comments about the overall product line) but they are
shooting themselves in the foot by trying to claim that IP4700 is
anything close to enterprise class or "best of breed" NAS.

The original notes I wrote up when eval'ing the IP4700 belong to a
client so I can't share them. I think I have some notes from later work
that I may be able to clean up and share. I'll send them along to you
off-list.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
Independent life science IT & research computing consulting