NAS + NFS

Ed Martin ed.martin at iop.org
Tue Apr 30 05:43:01 CDT 2002

We are currently looking to purchase a high end NAS solution.  We would want to share vis NFS to a number of Dell/Linux servers, and we'd start with between 0.5 and 1 TB of disk.

For us the two front runners are the Dell/EMC IP4700 or a NetApp Filer  (820 or 840 I think).  We are currently at the stage of talking to the two vendors and getting quotes etc.

I know Dell also offer solutions like the PV755N, but it doesn't seem to be in the same league.  Also at a technology briefing a Dell guy admitted that they were tuned to CIFS and not NFS.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's comments on either of these in a similar environment.  (Your comment below was very helpful Jeremy).  I have to say at the moment that we favour the NetApp solution, but Dell/EMC are due to see us again next week, so we'll see what they have to say.

Also does anyone run a database using one of these devices?  Previously I had always thought that databases and NFS don't mix, but NetApp for one claim that they do.  They are Oracle certified and reckon that their filer can be faster than local disk!  I am hoping to try PostgreSQL to see how well it performs...  A PE2650 DB server running Linux and using a NAS filer sounds very attractive right now!

Yours,

Ed

---
Ed Martin
Head of Systems Technology and Support
IOP Publishing Ltd
Dirac House, Temple Back
Bristol  BS1 6BE
ddi: +44 (0)117 930 1102
www:  http://www.iop.org

>>> "Jeremy Stoltz" <jstoltz at oz.net> 29/04/2002 18:36:55 >>>
We have been using a Netapp F740 for about 30 servers which  need read/write
access to a shared file system for about a year. I have nothing but good
things to a say about them so far. I can't tell you how impressed I was to
come into work one day to find an email from the netapp saying a drive may
fail, along with another from our shipping department saying I had a
package. Which was the replacement drive. :) I have a clustered pair of
F820's arriving in a few weeks.

Jeremy

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked by MIMEsweeper using
F-Secure Anti-Virus for the presence of computer viruses.