BIOS Upgrade

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Tue Apr 30 05:10:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Basil Hussain wrote:

>And, especially as once you actually get the self-extracting EXE downloaded
>on to a Windows machine, you find you probably can't use the damn thing
>anyway, because the utility that writes the floppy only runs on Windows 9x!
>
>Running it on my Windows 2000 desktop here merely results in:
>
>Usage : OS2 /P <full path> /C <original CommandLine>
>
>It seems as though the floppy writer EXE is some kind of OS/2 executable!
>But, I can't work out how to make it run with the OS/2 subsystem (the
>OS2.EXE mentioned). It works flawlessly on Windows 95/98.

(Vague memory stirs) Are you running it from a path with spaces, e.g.
"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop" ?

If so, try copying the file to c:\temp and running from there. I had a
very similar problem with BIOS updates for IBM ThinkPads.

>I really do think it's rather silly of Dell not to offer downloads such as
>BIOS updates, etc. in directly usable formats on all the operating systems
>available for each product line.

I think as Matt Domsch has mentioned before, Dell is a big company, and
Linux is a new thing to most of it. Give it time...

Cheers,

Phil