NAS + NFS

Jerker Nyberg jerker at update.uu.se
Tue Apr 30 01:55:01 CDT 2002

Or Sendmail with Procmail for Maildir support. :-)

My servers are running Sendmail/Procmail together with UW-IMAPD & POPD. By
historical reasons the users are using Mbox-format for their mailboxes.
Procmail are able to deliver to a Maildir-format mailbox so the problem is
really in the IMAP/POP-servers.

There exists Maildir-patches for UW-IMAPD which can be found here
http://www.davideous.com/imap-maildir/ and here
ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/imap/upstream/.

I packaged the patches for Red Hat 7.0 and it seem to work good enough for
me. We are still only three users out of the cirka 10k that are using
Maildir instead of Mbox so we will see how it work out.

http://www.jerker.nyberg.org/maildir/
http://www.jerker.nyberg.org/maildir/imap-2001a-10mdir12.i386.rpm

One big drawback. The UW-IMAP with Maildir-patches need locking on the
".uidvalidity"-file which is why it creates ".imaplock"-file.

In order to change all the users from Mbox to Maildir (and not only the
users which are having performance problems with gigantic mailboxes and
are using Webmail/IMAP) i guess I also need to change from Ext3 to
Reiserfs on the NFS-server. Reiserfs have unlimited inodes. And also, Ext2
(and I think also Ext3) go very very slow when it has many many files in a
directory. There is no such problem with Reiserfs as far as I know. I
still trust Ext3 better, but I think that is only because I have more
experience with Ext3.

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg.
Uppsala Sweden.