Adding Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Card to PowerEdge 500SC

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Mon Apr 29 18:09:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, John Rand wrote:

> Hi Guys-
>
> In January, I got a PowerEdge 500SC server running RedHat 7.2, and
> last week, a PowerVault 110T DLT VS 80 tape drive, which came with
> an Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI card.
>
> The card is recognized by the server, but hangs during
> the boot process at a line reading "editing /etc/fstab".
> At that point, I can't even reboot the machine, and need
> to pull the plug.

it sounds like you have kudzu running.

personally, i would boot the machine without the card.  then
cd /etc/rc3.d and mv S05kudzu s05kudzu

then down the machine, put the card in and bring it back up
and see if it boots ok.  if it does, you should be able to
modprobe aic7xxx and see if it comes up.  then modprobe st
and see if that module loads ok.

also, try booting the machine with the card inserted but
not connected to the tape drive, to see if that helps.

one thing i find curious is that you have a 2940U2W card
for a DLT drive.  when i bought a PV120T from Dell, it
was supplied with a 2944UW which is a differential ultra
scsi card.  can you make _absolutely_ sure that the drive
and the card are matched properly ? it is probably not going
to harm a diff device to plug into a non diff interface (though
i wouldn't do it), but the converse is pretty bad.

it might be only DLT drives with changers are supplied as diff
devices, but you never know.

regards,

-jason