Adding Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Card to PowerEdge 500SC

John Rand johnrand at owlseye.net
Mon Apr 29 17:18:01 CDT 2002

Hi Guys-

In January, I got a PowerEdge 500SC server running RedHat 7.2, and
last week, a PowerVault 110T DLT VS 80 tape drive, which came with
an Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI card.

The card is recognized by the server, but hangs during
the boot process at a line reading "editing /etc/fstab".
At that point, I can't even reboot the machine, and need
to pull the plug.

I called technical support, and they suggested that that SCSI
card had not been checked out for this server and OS, and that
I should return everything and get all new, including a new
SCSI card (an Adaptec 39160).

To a newbie, that seems like the long way around the barn.
Does it sound right?

-John