Odd Freeze on PE4400

Sean McAvoy sean.mcavoy at megawheels.com
Mon Apr 29 15:37:00 CDT 2002

Thought I'd reply with an update:
I've had no luck in getting any real helpful info from my crashes.
I thought it might be a process issue at first, but then I tested some
nfs setups on the system. I try send large quantities of files and large
files. The system locked up in the same way. But the client did get a
response of "can't get a request slot". This is usually blamed on
bad/incorrectly configured NIC drivers. But it produced the exact same
effect (system is pingable, no errors in logs or on console, can switch
between vt's but cannot login). This lead to me to think it might be a
combo of the highmem and XFS. I did some light searching for
xfs/highmem, could find many helpful things. Since it's a non-production
system yet, I decided to wipe it out and reinstall with ext3 as the fs.
After doing this, I compiled a new kernel with SMP/highmem. I then
repeated the exact same compile, and then the NFS tests. No problems
whatsoever. Has anyone else used highmem SMP and XFS together on a
system before?