NAS + NFS

Jeremy Stoltz jstoltz at oz.net
Mon Apr 29 13:57:00 CDT 2002

For some projects I feel much more comfortable using commercial solutions
which have been well tested and have excellent support. The Netapps are
expensive. Buying the first one was a difficult decision. But after using
one for almost a year it's easy to justify the price. Of course this is a
project that generates a fair amount of revenue and requires 99.99% uptime.

For a different project or an internal test environment I may build my own
NFS server. Of course being able to take snapshots of a file system and
restore them is seconds is a big plus for a test environment.

Jeremy