NAS + NFS

Fred Moyer fred at digicamp.com
Mon Apr 29 13:18:00 CDT 2002

Depending on your engineering skills and budget you may want to
build your own.  ICP-Vortex makes excellent raid cards which you
can use in (mine is the 4400) poweredges.  They can provide
500+ MB/s throughput on the pci bus - if you have peer 64 bit pci
busses (7150 pedge) you can cluster these controllers to achieve
even higher rates.  The  upside of this is that you can create
multi-terabyte SANS at a fraction of the cost of a NetApp filer, which
you can customize using linux to suit your administration needs.
The downside of this is you need bravery and a good knowledge of
pci busses, hard drives, backplanes, nfs, raid, and a lot of
patience for the dozens of reboots you will need to get everything
fine tuned and working.  The trade-offs are hundreds of thousands
of dollars versus hundreds of hours - which is more important to
you?

Raidzone makes an 'OpenNAS' SAN which uses ide but if you are
using this for applications definitely go with a scsi/fc solution.

<linux-poweredge at dell.com>
> Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 9:34 AM
> Subject: RE: NAS + NFS
>

> > I use Network Appliance for all of my backend storage.
Currently it's
> > handling 70,000+ email accounts and around 5,000 web
space accounts.  All
> of
> > this is done through NFS (version 3).
> >
> > I have had no problems with performance or downtime.  The
netapp can be
> > managed through web or command line and is VERY simple.
> >

> > I have the netapp hooked to a switch using a dual gigE truck
and my
> clients
> > all use 100 base connections.
> >
> > Just my $.02
> >

> > John

Beaumont
> > Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 12:10 PM
> > To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
> > Subject: NAS + NFS
> >

> > Hello All,
> >
> > I've been looking into buying some NAS devices and am
curious if anyone
> has
> > used Dell's
> > NAS devices? Any comments?
> >
> > They will be used in an all Linux environment through NFS. I
believe Dell
> > only has a windows
> > interface to their devices for management :(
> >
> > I'd also like to hear any comments on NFS - I don't know why
but I've
> always
> > had a bad impression
> > of NFS and not really used it in a production environment (in
fact I don't
> > think I've used
> > it at all for years). Am I wrong for the distrust? All I'm looking to
use
> it
> > for now is to do
> > backups across the network (rather than using tape).
> >
> > Any advice? Alternatives?
> >
> > I hope my questions are not off topic! Any comments or
experience is