NAS + NFS

Hugh Beaumont hbeaumont at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 29 11:10:00 CDT 2002

Hello All,

I've been looking into buying some NAS devices and am curious if anyone has used Dell's
NAS devices? Any comments?

They will be used in an all Linux environment through NFS. I believe Dell only has a windows
interface to their devices for management :(

I'd also like to hear any comments on NFS - I don't know why but I've always had a bad impression
of NFS and not really used it in a production environment (in fact I don't think I've used
it at all for years). Am I wrong for the distrust? All I'm looking to use it for now is to do
backups across the network (rather than using tape).

Any advice? Alternatives?

I hope my questions are not off topic! Any comments or experience is appreciated!

Thanks!