Bytes counter of ifconfig in 7.2 resets?

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Apr 29 07:28:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Hubbard, David wrote:

>	is it normal for the TX/RX bytes
>counters in the output of ifconfig to reset?
>I'm running 2.4.9-31 on a brand new system
>and noticed that both counters will reset
>to zero at some point just above 4077 Mb.
>The packet counters don't reset, just the
>actual bytes counters.

It looks like they're overflowing, not resetting. I'm guessing the
values are stored as unsigned 32-bit integers, in which case the maximum
value which can be stored is 4,294,967,295 (2^32 - 1). This is close to
the 4077 megabyte figure you gave (4,077,000,000 if you meant mega-,
4,275,044,352 if you meant mebi-, which is what ifconfig reports in).

If this is true, there's not much you can do about it. I'd suggest using
a newer kernel, but you're using a fairly recent one. I'd suggest filing
a bug report to Redhat or the linux-kernel list, but I'm willing to bet
it's already known.

Cheers,

Phil