hardware raid more trouble than its worth?

Hugh Beaumont hbeaumont at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 28 02:28:01 CDT 2002

After reading some of the recent posts about hardware raid problems and
also reading the success that people have had with software raid in linux, I'm
wondering if the hardware raid is really worth the trouble?

I would love to hear anyone's opinion, pro and con, on the matter. I've got two
new 1650's with perc3di raid running (they are not live yet though). I'm considering
just using the software raid though after some of the things I've read.

My goal is reliablity more than anything - a backup drive if one goes bad. Speed is
always important but not the most important factor. I'm just getting a bit worried
about all the issues with batteries, memory, etc. on the hardware cards. It seems
like software may be much less hassle.

I must confess that I've never actually tried the software route simply because I
thought it was "too good to be true" and not worth the time.

I'd love to listen to any comments!

Thanks!