X Server problems

Aly Dharshi aly.dharshi at uleth.ca
Fri Apr 26 21:31:00 CDT 2002

Hello All,

     We have the latest Linux RH 7.2 kernel from RH, we rebooted a 1550
with a Dell flat screen 1503FP, and we haven't been able to connect to the
X server aka no X windows running.

     The logs in /var/log/XFree86.0.log says the following line before
failing to connect.

      Fatal server error:
      could not open default font 'fixed'

     Any ideas ?

     Cheers,

       Aly.

PS: We have tried to roll back as far as the original kernel but with no
luck/success. We also tried a Dell E551 monitor (CRT) with the same
problems. We tried the Xconfigurator to do the reconfigs but same results.
Also tried generic settings using Laptop panel setting and no change in
results.

--
Aly Dharshi
Student @ University of Lethbridge