Adapter failover with broadcom + intel cards

Robert_Wideman@Dell.com Robert_Wideman at Dell.com
Thu Apr 25 16:24:00 CDT 2002

The info is at:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/network/063my/index.htm
in the Linux Driver Software section and Key Protocols and Interfaces

Robert Wideman, MCP, CNA, A+
Dell Linux/UNIX Server Support
robert_wideman at dell.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Bret Giuliani [mailto:bret at aerocast.com]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 10:38 AM
To: Matthew Parslow
Cc: Linux-Poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: Re: Adapter failover with broadcom + intel cards

Matthew,

I have a bunch of 2550s, and was in a similar situation a couple months
ago (aggregation was important to me).  After hunting around for a
solution, I came across a software product called NIC Express.  It will
do load balancing, failover, or both.  In the course of my testing, I
had it running with up to four different adapters.  Failover and
aggregation have been very solid to date.

One potential downside:  NIC Express is closed-source.  However, their
software development team has been extremely responsive to questions,
problems, and enhancement suggestions.

It will run on 2.2.18, 2.2.19, and 2.4.0 - 2.4.16 kernel versions,
including a couple of the RedHat builds (2.4.7-10 included).  Note that
you may need to recompile your kernel, as NIC Express requires the
bridging hooks code to be enabled.  Give them a look.  They have a 30
day trial version available at:

http://www.ipmetrics.com

-Bret