Odd Freeze on PE4400

Neil Spring nspring at cs.washington.edu
Thu Apr 25 13:12:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:34:55PM -0400, Sean McAvoy wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm running kernel 2.4.18 with bigmem and SMP enabled (2x1ghz and 2gb
> RAM), on Debian 3.0. The system freezes when I compile kernels (after
> getting through much of it), the system is pingable, and you can switch
> virtual consoles, but you cannot login via console/ssh/telnet. You do
> get connects when connecting to telnet/ssh/web but that's it.I am
> wondering if it's a process limit problem, but I've got no sure fire way
> to tell. Any suggestions?

Since amazingly you have a way to reproduce the problem,
I would try one of the pre-built kernels just to see
if its a configuration issue (or a hardware issue that
can be resolved by configuration.

kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp

might be a good place to start.

A linux kernel compile isn't going to create an endless
stream of processes (unless you're running 'make -j
99999999' :) ).

woody is 6 days from being called "stable" and it's the
job of the kernel to make sure the system doesn't freeze.

if you're concerned you're running out of processes,
start a shell in another virtual console running
  while 1
   sleep 1
   ls /proc | wc -l
which seems sure-fire to me; at least you'll know how many
processes are running on the system when it barfs.

-neil