Odd Freeze on PE4400

Chris Chabot chabotc at chabotc.com
Thu Apr 25 13:01:01 CDT 2002

Most of the time when a machine is in a state where it does ping, but does not
allow logins, a few plausible reasons exist:

1) You ran out of file handles. Since ping is in kernel space it does not need
file handles, but loggin in needs about 8+. (this is a limit thats settable
via /proc)

2) You ran out of memory, as above, and the OOM handler is going bogus.

3) Your PAM has gotton very confused, and does not authenticate anything
anymore.

4) Your machine's interupts are in a locked stated (this consitutes to a hard
crash)

If you can still open web pages from that server, but not log in, then its
likely to be #3.

If you can not get any reaction from the server that requires file handles
(smb, nfs, ssh, telnet, apache, etc), then its likely to be #1

else it could be #2, or just bad memory, bad kernel in combination with
hardware, etc.. In this case i would sugest using a memory test util
(freshmeat.net), or using a different kernel (plain 2.4.18 works very well for
me).

Since your machine does ping, #4 is not realy the case. (network card requires
interrupt + +kernel + pci bus activity, so those are arguably still 'sane')

	-- Chris