backup disc via mirroring?

Daniel van Gerpen daniel_van-gerpen at hsgmed.com
Thu Apr 25 07:01:00 CDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:50:47 -0500
Steve_Boley at Dell.com wrote:

[..]
> complete failure.  In case of failure bring the drive up in the original
> slot without the other slot in system and will boot and come up completely
> fine.

I tried this with two drives. Power down. Put drive A on the shelf. Reboot
from B. Delete file X from B. Power down.

Remove B. Put drive A in it's original slot.

Reboot from A. As expected, the deleted file X shows up again.

Insert drive B. Nothing happens - even though automatic failover is enabled.
"afacli, open afa0, controller rescan". Scrubbing starts. Note: When scrubbing
is finished, the file X is still there.

Reboot. Surprise: X is gone! What happened? Do I have to issue special CLI
commands other than "controller rescan"?

Daniel