PE4600 and Console Redirection

Marc Schmitt schmitt at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 24 11:15:01 CDT 2002

Hi all,

This might not be the right list to post my problem, but I count on the
experience of the readers here. :)

I have the following setup:

PE4600 (A02)
- running RedHat 7.1
- lilo configured to redirect console to com1 (serial=0,9600n8)
- BIOS Console Redirection Serial Port 1, Remote Terminal Type
vt100/220, Redirection after boot disabled

Chase IOLAN+Rack Communication Server
- Speed 9600, Parity None, Bit 8, Stop 1, Flow Ctrl None

The cable:
Made accordingly to the IOLAN User and Administration Guide:

IOLAN (RJ45) DTE			PE4600 (DB9) DTE
4 (TXD) -----------------------------------> 2 (RXD)
5 (RXD) <----------------------------------- 3 (TXD)
6 (GND) ------------------------------------ 5 (GND)

No matter what I do, I do not get the BIOS Console Redirection to work.
The redirection for Linux works flawlessly.
What I see is:

--- zip ----
md: md6 switched to read-only mode.
Restarting system.
þùù
LILO 21.7-5 Loading linux...........................
Linux version 2.4.9-31smp (bhcompile at daffy.perf.redhat.com) (gcc version
2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)) #1 SMP Tue Feb 26 06:55:00
EST 2002
--- zip ----

All I get are those cryptic symbols (þùù). Now, the PE4600 Systems
Service Manual says, that the Client System should use Hardware Flow
Control. I tried it, BIOS shows now þÿù and typing on the terminal does
not work anymore at the Linux console.

I think, that with the cable I have, Hardware Flow Control is not
possible, therefore it doesn't work?

The IOLAN RJ45 Connector has the following Pin setup:

Pin
Description
		Direction
1
Data carrier detect (109)	in
2
Request to send (105)		out
3
Data set ready (107)		in
4
Transmitted data (103)		out
5
Received data (104)		in
6
Signal Ground (102)		ref
7
Clear to send (106)		in
8
Data terminal ready (108)	out

Can someone tell me if the problem I have is really the cable and if
yes, which pins need to be connected on the DB9 connector in addition?
Any pointers are welcome.

TIA

Regards,
	Marc