experienced sysadmin + RHCE course?

ivan ivan at es.usyd.edu.au
Tue Apr 23 20:42:00 CDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Frank Louwers wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 07:30:43PM -0400, Rolf Hanson wrote:
> > Random question:  I have loads of experience sysadmining Solaris and
> > FreeBSD systems, but next to zero experience with RedHat.  With my
> > latest contract I have to make sure a bunch of poweredge + RedHat
> > systems stay alive. In general I can figure stuff out relatively
> > rapidly, but it would be nice to know what exactly is going on with
> > kernel modules, rpms, various RedHat-specific utilities, etc.
>
> Ouch, an experienced bsd and solaris admin has to learn RedHat? I feel
> sorry for you ;-) ...
>
> No realy, most of the non-red-hat specific stuff is pretty
> strait-forward if you are comming from bsd. (Except for the stupid
> sysV style init scripts which are completely useless and only mess
> things up).

To ease things up look for at man files for the following commands

/sbin/services
/sbin/chkconfig

This makes sysV init part a piece of cake.

--

There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as
 easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no

Ivan Teliatnikov,
F05 David Edgeworth Building,
Department of Geology and Geophysics,
School of Geosciences,