Regular verses Daylight Savings Time

Michael Solberg msolberg at arches.uga.edu
Tue Apr 23 17:00:00 CDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Karl Zander wrote:

> Ok...I ran tzselect.  Choose the options for Americas, United States and
> Eastern Time zone (I am in Washington, DC).  But the server is still off by
> an hour.   UTC is also off by an hour.   It is one hour behind like it is
> still on Regular time and does not know about Daylight Savings Time.
>
> If I do not use ntpd, where does RedHat Linux 7.2 get its time from?  The
> hardware clock in the BIOS?

Yes.  If you don't want to run ntpd, a single

# ntpdate [my time server]

Should sync you up and it normally knows about Daylight Savings Time.
(I'm sure it's more complicated than just knowing, but it's always worked
for me on whichever linux I happened to be running. :-) ) It's always good
to run ntpd though, because it's important to keep your logs in order in
case something goes wrong.