73 GB disks for Dell Precision 530 Mini-Tower with PERC3 RAID5

Ed Griffin edg at ll.mit.edu
Tue Apr 23 08:33:01 CDT 2002

The web-config (ordering???) tool is sometimes incorrect.  I have seen this
when trying to order a PV210S with 12 73GB disks and the only thing I could
put on there was 18GB disks.  I called my sales rep and he got me what I
wanted.  As far as stability is concerned I am running a dozen Precision
530's with PERC3 RAID5 using 36GB disks and I have not had any problems
with the disks, controllers, or the support from Dell or Redhat.  I have
both the PERC3 DC cards for servers and the DCL card for workstations the
only difference is the lack of a battery backed cache on the workstation
variety and 64MB of cache as opposed to 128MB, unless I have misunderstood
the docs I have read.

One last thing, if you are using the 2.2GHz Precision 530 take a look in
the BIOS under CPU information.  Finding hyper-threading there (and
enabling it) was a nice surprise.  Just remember to use the latest errata
kernel and append acpismp=force.

--Ed

Ed Griffin
Assistant Network/System Administrator
MIT Lincoln Laboratory - Weather Sensing
Phone:    (781) 981-2871
mailto:edg at ll.mit.edu