experienced sysadmin + RHCE course?

Frank Louwers frank at openminds.be
Tue Apr 23 03:28:01 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 07:30:43PM -0400, Rolf Hanson wrote:
> Random question:  I have loads of experience sysadmining Solaris and
> FreeBSD systems, but next to zero experience with RedHat.  With my
> latest contract I have to make sure a bunch of poweredge + RedHat
> systems stay alive. In general I can figure stuff out relatively
> rapidly, but it would be nice to know what exactly is going on with
> kernel modules, rpms, various RedHat-specific utilities, etc.

Ouch, an experienced bsd and solaris admin has to learn RedHat? I feel
sorry for you ;-) ...

No realy, most of the non-red-hat specific stuff is pretty
strait-forward if you are comming from bsd. (Except for the stupid
sysV style init scripts which are completely useless and only mess
things up).

The things you'll hate however, are some of the redhat-specific stuff,
such as linuxconf! As a solaris/bsd admin, I guess you are used to
change configfiles with vim yourself. DON'T TRY THAT ON REDHAT! I
mean, the files exist, and you can change them by hand, but once you
start changing big parts of the file, you're screwed (pardon my
french) ...

Rpm is not that bad... (The debian system is much smarter but that's
another discussion), they are a bit like the packages on solaris.

Kernel modules are not difficult at all ...

>  Have any experienced admins ever taken one of the RHCE training
> courses?  For instance:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/courses/rh300.html

Looking at the course, that would seem the right thing for you. You
didn't state if the BSD experience you have is with an IA32
architecture or not, but I assume you know what an IRQ is for ;-)

Vriendelijke groeten,
Frank Louwers

--
Openminds bvba                www.openminds.be
Tweebruggenstraat 16  -  9000 Gent  -  Belgium