73 GB disks for Dell Precision 530 Mini-Tower with PERC3 RAID5

Michael E Brown michael_e_brown at dell.com
Mon Apr 22 21:36:00 CDT 2002

Brian,
	The PERC raid adapter that you can get for the Precision
Workstations is largely the same as the PERC adapters in our PowerEdge
servers (modulo battery backed cache). So, the answer to your stability
question is that we believe them to be very stable. You can satisfy
yourself by looking through the email discussions at
http://lists.us.dell.com.  They are very stable, with just a few
complaints about performance. The recurring theme has been that they don't
perform as well as software raid, and you can read the mailing lists for
the lowdown on that. It is a bandwidth issue with the i960 chip that does
the raid calculations.

	As for the limitations of the web configuration tool, I've emailed
it to our mailing list in hopes that somebody else knows something more
about it. It _should_ support 73GB disks, as we support those in our
servers just fine. I'm surprised that you have been having problems with
the salespeople, but there are some other folks on the list who may see
this and be able to tell you something more definitive.

--
Michael Brown
Linux Solutions