experienced sysadmin + RHCE course?

Rolf Hanson rolf at gitdown.com
Mon Apr 22 18:31:01 CDT 2002

Random question:  I have loads of experience sysadmining Solaris and
FreeBSD systems, but next to zero experience with RedHat.  With my
latest contract I have to make sure a bunch of poweredge + RedHat
systems stay alive. In general I can figure stuff out relatively
rapidly, but it would be nice to know what exactly is going on with
kernel modules, rpms, various RedHat-specific utilities, etc.

  Have any experienced admins ever taken one of the RHCE training
courses?  For instance:

http://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/courses/rh300.html

Would this be useful in getting me up to speed rapidly on all the
RedHat-isms, or does it spend a lot of time running through standard
unix stuff I would already know? There is one starting in a couple of
weeks in my area, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone on the list
recommends or does not recommend this course.  Please no diatribes about
whether or not certification/training in general is worthwhile, I've
heard it all before...I just want to know if the class is good or not.

Thanks!

Rolf