Why to upgrade the linux kernel?

Mon Apr 22 14:55:01 CDT 2002

> IMHO it leads to
> systems which are far more stable than any RedHat kernel release.  Not
> to mention you can stay closer to the current Linux kernel than RedHat
> allows.

IMHO, the Red Hat provided kernels are quite stable - we (and others) stress
test them like you wouldn't believe.  There are advantages to building one
yourself, but if you're not so inclined, the Red Hat kernels tend to be
*more* stable than simply, say, the stock kernel from kernel.org.  (Red Hat
kernel 2.4.9-31 is *far* more stable than kernel.org's 2.4.9 kernel.)  You
can achieve the same level of stability by patching the whole thing up
yourself, but that's why you're buying from Dell/Red Hat now, right?  :-)

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch